ant double

Ants are a social insect that live in colonies. Treatment plans should include killing the entire colony. Just spraying an ant with a typical ant spray, particularly a repellent spray will only kill a few at best.

Ants may enter your house foraging for food or seeking shelter. Understanding the behavior of ants will help you with the recommended pest control procedures outlined here. They enter through the smallest openings, foraging for water or food. They are in search of either sweet based food or protein/grease based foods. Once they find a food source, ants will leave a pheromone trail for other ants to follow.

It’s the largest groups of insects known. Their nests can be found almost anywhere. Some live under lawns/under building foundations/ within cavities in walls /roof voids. Most species of ants are attracted to sweet or fatty substances and are found in kitchens, pantries, storerooms & warehouses. Ants are commonly intruders of homes & commercial buildings & are unwanted in food outlet. Ants can be a fascinating insect to observe, with their teamwork and communication abilities and their constant foraging to help feed the ever expanding colony. The foraging ants represent about 10% of the colony and they gather all the food and moisture requirements for the remaining 90% of ants that never leave the nest!

As the majority of ant species prefer sunny climes, our climate is not suitable for many of them. However, the few species found here can be a nuisance when they get into your home. Garden or Black ants aren’t thought to carry diseases, the trouble is you don’t know where they’ve been foraging outside, so you won’t want them marching through your food cupboards. Ants will travel in a wide range searching for food, following trails they have established and clustering around the source of food, becoming a nuisance in homes, organisations and businesses. Small piles of earth around holes in soil and at the base of exterior walls indicate their origin.

  • Track down where they are coming in and seal off the entry point
  • Clear up any sticky residues on worktops, because ants are attracted to sweet things
  • Cover up any foodstuffs which could be a food source for ants

Damage to Property and Health Risks

Most of the time ants are just a nuisance, but they can contaminate food. A full infestation can destroy food in your home and can destroy crops and food for animals and that can harm livestock.

Ants like fire ants normally set up their nests outdoors, but if disturbed can swarm and they can sting and post a health risk. Carpenter ants destroy wood and can weaken the structures in your home.

Control Treatment for Common Ants

The control of ants is made difficult by their developed social organization of their nests in places where it is easy to gain access. However, a systematic form of treatment will be carried out of all known & possible areas where ants breed and harbour, especially in canteens & office areas. The insecticide used has a good knockdown effect & lasting residual properties. Control of ants within or around a structure can consist of many different techniques. Every situation is different. The important thing to remember when dealing with ants is that, due to their pheromone scent trails, there is never a limit to the quantity of ants that can target your house from outside. Neighboring colonies can easily invade after the previously existing colony has been destroyed.